Bison Peppered Hanger Steak
Posted on 02 November 2016
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons white peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons dried green peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 – 2lb. Bison Hanger steak, trimmed & cut into 4
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Cognac or brandy
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
In a heavy-duty sealable plastic bag or between 2 sheets of waxed paper, crush peppercorns and fennel seeds coarsely with bottom of a heavy skillet. Pat steaks dry and coat both sides with salt and peppercorn mixture.
In a 10 inch heavy skillet heat butter and oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook steaks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side for medium rare. Transfer to plates and cover to keep warm.
Pour of any excess oil from skillet and add shallots and 1/2 cup of broth and deglaze pan. Add cream and Cognac. Boil mixture, scraping up browned bits, until sauce thickens and coats the back of spoon, about 1 minute. Finish sauce by whisking in mustard. Taste and season sauce with salt, if necessary and spoon over steaks.