Guinness-Marinated Bison Ribeye Sandwich
Posted on 02 November 2016
- 1 cup Guinness or other dark stout
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 large red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rings
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. light molasses
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Four 6-8 ounce bison delmonico (boneless ribeye) steaks, about 1 1/2 inches thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 24 cremini mushrooms, stemmed
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices of rye toast
In a bowl, whisk the Guinness with the chopped onion, soy sauce, molasses, thyme, garlic,, Worcestershire sauce, and 2 teaspoons of pepper. Pour marinade into large, resealable plastic bag. Add steaks and turn to coat. Seal and refrigerate overnight.
Remove steaks from marinade and pat dry. Brush with oil and season with salt & pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred, about 6 minutes. Move steaks to indirect heat, close grill cover, and cook until medium-rare, 8 to 10 minutes. Let rest on carving board for 10 minutes. Slice 1/2 inch thick.
Brush the onion rings and mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until softened, 6 minutes.
Arrange the toasts on plates and top with the grilled onions, sliced steak, and mushrooms. Drizzle with any juices from the bison steaks and serve.