Bison NY Strip with Portabella Mushroom Ragout
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 4 (10oz.) Bison NY strip steaks
- 1/2 cup cracked black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup cognac or brandy
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh Portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup finely diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup beef or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and white pepper
To prepare the steaks: Rub steaks with garlic clove, salt and cracked pepper. Marinate in Worcestershire sauce for 1 hour, minimum.
To prepare the ragout: Grill mushrooms whole, then coarsely chop into 3/4-inch cubes. Pour olive oil in pan, add mushrooms and shallots, and saute until soft. Add tomatoes, heavy cream, and stock. Simmer and reduce for about 10 minutes. Add herbs and seasonings and remove from heat. Keep warm if using immediately.
To cook bison meat steaks and prepare cognac butter: Sear steaks in a heavy skillet on high heat to desired temperature, remove from heat. Add cognac and flame off, then whisk in the butter.
Place mushroom ragout on plate. Cut steaks across the grain into 1/2-inch slices. Fan steaks on top of ragout and drizzle with cognac butter.